Friday, February 27, 2009

uncle M

Uncle M has passed away. I found out from my second cousin's status on facebook last night. Dad had called me earlier that day, I saw the missed call but he didn't leave a message. I was in a ferry to ikea in brooklyn and I was listening to bach cello concerto #3 and looking at the sunset in the river. I was thinking cello has a very earthly sounds and I was not in the mood to talk on the phone.

Uncle M was only 52. I remember him as the chubby-ish bald guy who was smiling most of the time. He was hyper in a sense, always noticable in the crowd. He had this beautiful cabin in kordan where we always hanged out with our friends. The last couple years before I move out of the country he was a bit manic depressed, and that apparantly was the case for the past few years on and off. But I don't really remember him that way. I stil picture him with his wool hat and glasses, smiling and making kabob for everyone. He was a very smart kind-hearted man.I'm pretty sure he was a very good doctor as well. And I liked that he was sometimes too straight forward, to the point that some people thought he is mean. But I value honesty.

Uncle M's birthday was the same day as mine. I used to call him every year when I lived in tehran. Most years he didn't remember his own birthday. I called him once from here; the last time we ever spoke. We will never meet again...that makes me really sad especially since I'm going home in two weeks after 5 years, and I was looking forward to seeing him.

No comments:

Post a Comment