Friday, January 3, 2014

It is a new year. The new year always bring an artificially heightened hope of a better, improved self: new hobbies, regular exercise, better diet, visiting friends more often, etc.

Maybe the new year is my chance for writing once again.

Guatemala

I just visited Guatemala. It was our honeymoon. For many years, I have been doing my travels alone or with friends here and there. This time I went with a guy whom I married a year ago this time and whom I have loved for about 7 years on and off. Since I don't like the word husband - because it's traditional - and I don't like the word partner - because it's modern and endogenous - let's just call him J.

Guatemala is beautiful. I especially loved the sky. When I visited Spain in 2010, I also especially loved the sky. There is something about the large white clouds and their contrast with the blue sky. And then there is that vastness; the sky was so big that you couldn't see where it started and where it ended.

We visited the Mayan ruins in Tikal. I don't know much about the Mayan civilization, but those structures were amazing. We climbed one of the temples and from the top, it seemed like all the world is your territory. You could see why someone might think he/she is god when looking down from that height.

Then we went to the Pacific coast where the sunsets were dreamy.

I surfed for the first time. It was hard and I wasn't very good at it. Everyone said that the waves are too big and the currents are too strong for surfing. Well, I couldn't tell because I don't know what the criteria is. But I loved those strong waves. I loved the way they were banging my body around and taking the control away from me. Those waves were larger than me, and they were threatening my life, and I was enjoying that. A couple of times I though that I might drown because I was pulled under for a long time and I couldn't get back out. And later I had a lot of bruises to show for it.

Considering that my uncle's wife drowned on their honeymoon almost 25 years ago, I should have been a bit more scared. But there is something special about fighting the forces of nature. Fighting at the same time that you are pleading with them not to hurt you. I suppose that's kind of like when you have violent sex. There is ecstasy, pain, fight and submission all at the same time. I didn't learn much surfing after all. But the experience was delightful.



My next post is going to be about Mormonism. I read the book "Under the banter of heaven" while I was in Guatemala. And I am going to watch "Sons of Perdition" tonight. I think I have a thing or two to say about Mormons.

Happy New Year.



No comments:

Post a Comment